Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Last weekend

The last weekend before Ramadan begins starts tomorrow. We've been working on getting things done at the house almost non-stop for the past few weeks. We were hoping to be completely finished before Ramadan but it looks like we won't reach that goal.

We did manage to get a lot of things crossed off the list. We decided that we'd get the main pieces of furniture bought and then work on the smaller things as we can. It's hard to get just what you want here. I had a plan for a particular colour scheme for the ladies sitting room that in the end I had to just give up on. No matter how hard I looked I could not find the colours. In the end I went with something else. I'm not thrilled with it but if I do come across what I'm looking for I've left some allowance to change it.

The house still needs to be painted from the outside. We've simply run out of time. It will have to wait until after Ramadan. The kitchen counter tops were a huge headache. We finally found the granite we wanted and got the guy to come out to measure - and then he called and said there wasn't enough granite in the colour we wanted. We had to go out searching again. Finally we found the granite we wanted and got that sorted out. Still it was stressful. One step forward, two steps back and finally a push forward again. We'll have the kitchen ready for Ramadan.

We've decided that until we get the house completed we'll go back and forth between the two places. We'll have to do that until there is Internet at the house anyway. Since it's the last weekend before Ramadan we're going to try to enjoy it by spending time with friends and having a cookout. I'm looking forward to relaxing for a change.

9 comments:

  1. Dear KT

    How well I understand the difficulties that go into getting a house ready for habitation.

    In my case the house is an 1870 house that I am trying to restore. We have been living in the house for several years and so the work must go on around us--not always pleasant--but I must confess that I do love the process.

    Would love to see more pictures as your progress with your home. May you and your family have a very happy Ramadan.

    Fan in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  2. are the cookouts similar to the ones here do they bar bq steaks or hamburgers or is it usually lamb ,chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Teri, so happy for your progress. Happy Ramadan to you and your family. Can't wait to see the granite and other pics. Remember to take care of you, relax, and breathe!!!!!!!! LOL

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Teri,

    I've been one of your fans for years now and look forward to reading your blog almost every day. I'm not Muslim so I don't know what a ladies sitting room is. Can men sit there too? Please explain this to me. Maybe it's just Libyan?
    I love seeing the pictures of your house so please keep posting them!
    I wish you a happy Ramadan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon...
    Most Libyan cookouts are grilled lamb, chicken or fish. I tend to be more American - hamburgers, hotdogs, brats or chicken. I like chicken salad and potato salad too.

    Anon 2...

    The ladies sitting room is a room reserved for female guests. General there is a separation of the sexes in Libya and most Islamic countries. In Libya men sit in a room called the 'marboua'. Having these separate areas is kind of useful because you usually only use them when there are visitors. The rest of the time the room remains with the door shut. So when someone arrives unannounced you can just throw them in there and relax - they are not going to get a look at your messy house..lolol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Khadija

    I am glad to hear that you are moving on quiet well with your decorations at your new house.
    If you don't mind, can you tell us more about their traditions during Ramadan? They don't drink anything for a whole day, even if it is too hot? I can't understand this?

    your friend from Malta

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least it seems like there is light at the end of the tunnel now with your new home! Happy Ramadan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Ramadan considered a holiday or a form of "torture"? No food or DRINK in the heat of summer doesn't sound like a holiday to me...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am surprised about the brats, do you make them yourself i was sure you couldnt get something like that in libya anyway i'll bet they are not johnsonville lol have a wonderfull ramadan and ai am anxiously waiting for new pics of your house i'd like to see a pic of the ladies sitting room , it sure is a very good idea , that way, as you said no one can see your messy house lol. chris

    ReplyDelete

Guidelines for submitting comments

You can rant, you can rave, you can question. I ask only that you are thoughtful about what you write.

Comments are reviewed by me before publication. I don’t edit comments, but I do reserve the right to delete comments that violate my guidelines.

These are the kinds of comments that I think are not appropriate for publication:

- Defamatory or libelous remarks
- Abusive, harassing, or threatening language
- Obscene, vulgar, or profane language
- Racially, ethnically or religiously offensive words
- Illegal or encourages criminal acts
- Known to be inaccurate or contains a false attribution
- Infringes copyrights, trademarks, publicity or any other rights of others
- Impersonates anyone (actual or fictitious)
- Off-topic or spam
- Solicits funds, goods or services, or advertises



Please submit comments in English.


Thank you

My Link List